During the current COVID era, all organizations have been forced to leverage remote working to the fullest. Teams have also been learning and honing the art of working remotely. An outcome has been an increase in productivity (generally), as well as it has become clear now that any remote member / team requires good communication abilities essentially, apart from required technical capability and infrastructure. Acceptance of this is helping individuals and teams to become more mature as they are working diligently to be remote ready.
A large multinational software house has announced that their 75% of the teams would be shifted remote as a part of new operational model. This is a cognizance to the advantages which remote workforce brings and the beneficiaries are both the employer and client.
Do you have questions about setting up a remote team?
Benefits of Remote Teams
1. Get access to global talent
Great talent many times may not be available locally in desired quantity.
- Remote teams can help you to have better availability of the talented workforce.
- There is no geographical constraint.
- Different time zones can be utilized to your benefit in terms of faster turnaround time as well as round the clock availability.
- Team formations also are not dependent on the basis of common continuous working times, and this can help immensely when your project manager may be onsite and in the time zone of the end client.
2. Save cost
Remote teams can become cost-effective by virtue of not utilizing your costly inhouse resources.
- Since technologies evolve nowadays at a rapid pace, it is much easier to find already trained members, rather than to keep up with the challenge of a constant learning curve.
- Ability to ramp up and ramp down helps tremendously in matching operations to scale.
- Internal infrastructure management and upkeep can be very expensive and the same can be drastically reduced (up to 11K USD per member per year) while working with pre-established remote team structures.
- Do you really need that big a development floor? Commercial real estate requirements can decrease by a lot.
3. More productivity
The CoSo Cloud survey of remote members concludes.
- 52% members are less likely to take time off.
- 30% members accomplished more in less time.
- 77% members confirmed improved productivity.
Most companies working with remote teams report improved productivity and less absent time. Remote meetings are much more productive and require significantly lesser time. Distractions are also much lesser for remote members.
4. Higher turnaround
Remote members report much higher satisfaction with their projects. This is a desirable perk for great talent and it helps members enjoy a better quality of life and wellness. As per a survey in US.
- 82% of employees exhibit more loyalty.
- 42% of remote teams get so used to flexible work options that they are able to focus much more on the outcome-based approach.
- Members are much more inclined to prioritize professional development which helps immensely in faster learning and working with newer technologies.
The main difficulties in remote collaboration are:
- Lack of direct communication.
- Hindered data accessibility.
- Poor visibility into team actions.
Following are the general best practises to adopt while working with remote teams:
1. Unification and personalisation are kept in Balance
The common ground rules of work should be made clear upfront with a personalisation approach.
2. Communicate instead of checking
To take full advantage of collective intelligence and synergy effect of teamwork, it is necessary to maintain a constant dialogue. From time to time suggest your team to share some personal news or spend some time on bonding. Teams which are in synergy with your vision and are emotionally connected to you, go beyond the constraints to achieve excellence, every time.
3. Face to Face Interaction Value
Face to face interaction is a strong instrument in building bonds inside the teams. Video calls should be weaved into all meetings.
4. Add Praise and Motivation
Acknowledging and praising team results is a powerful catalyst. This helps in building proactive communication which can give significant insight into team actions and thinking patterns.
5. Granular Approach to workload Management
With smaller tasks, it is much simpler for teams to clearly understand the goals and the result that is expected.
6. Develop Sharing into Working habit
Sharing is vital for making the workflow transparent to the team, so that plans and updates get communicated inn real time. It is essential that sharing is not channelled through the team leader, but via technology where it flows automatically to all team members.
7. Focus on Creativity with Getting Things done
A feedback loop can be built which lasts 24 hours daily. It might become basis for leveraging an open innovation model in teams.
Once the COVID lockdown is lifted across the world and businesses come up to new normal, remote teams would be sought after to quickly come up to speed and cope up with the changed environment. Remote teams produce much better results and help in minimizing costs with equivalent and sometimes better results. Mind IT systems can make working with remote teams much easier for you.
We at Mind IT systems are providing remote teams fully managed since five years for Mobile Apps | Web Development | Product Development | AI | CRM etc. Our members are comfortable with video calls, are trained on JIRA task management, working on GIT remote Code repositories along with following best development practices. Contact us at [email protected] for your requirements.
Mind IT Systems is ranked as 1st among Top 25 Staff Augmentation Service Providers in India by The Manifest. You can read here about our services.
Ref source: CoSo Cloud survey info – https://tinyurl.com/mindit1